Maintenance M1 – Autonomous maintenance by employees of production
Through the independent maintenance of employees in production the machine utilization time and the system stability are improved.
The supervisors are trained extensively at the moment and now we must ensure that they exemplify their newly acquired knowledge to the staff. The 5S Process must be exemplified by the superiors and must be led the way with deeds and “visible success”.
Phase 1 – An essential component of autonomous maintenance are 5S/5A campaigns.
- Sorting out / Sorting all unnecessary things
- Cleanup / Systematic organization, determination of place, address and identification
- Plants / workplace / cleanliness, cleaning is maintenance, checklists, discover defects
- Orders / standardize, employees define standards, improve response times
- Improve everything / self-discipline, improve standards, stabilize plant availability
By means of a simple identification and visualization of states, we are simplifying the activities.
Phase 2 – Plant identification, staff training, checklists, maintenance and inspection
- Systematic marking of existing machines / plants / periphery
- Standardized marking of existing assemblies / components / levels
- Connections of scissors etc. Poka Yoke system prevents errors
- Marking of operating materials, work equipment and handling
- Setting of target values and system parameters
- Creating standardized checklists for plant check
- Creating a unified error code system, which standardizes the error messages
The breakdown of plants by address is also used to assign replacement parts. In short one-step lessons one site, the employees are instructed in detail with the tasks. On the basis of photo documentation the process is presented simply and clearly.
Assemblies like filling-shoes, shears, blades, belts, pumps, valves, switches and cylinders etc. are clearly marked. The replacement part assignment and ordering as well as the reaction time are positively influenced in this way. Hydraulic oil tanks, lubricant reservoirs and other levels of operating supplies are monitored by a min/max display.
The clear labeling of operation materials helps the operator to identify the right operation materials, so that not the incorrect oil or lubricant is refilled. The operation materials, work equipment such as oil cans and hoppers and of course the containers and components are clearly and distinctively marked.
Production relevant set points are defined and determined. Using simple labeling, the operator can quickly obtain some information on the state – pressure indicator manometer green OK – red NOT OK, temperature display, filter display etc.
In short and comprehensive checklists maintenance and routine works are described and visualized with photos. Control of filling levels of operation materials, lubrication works and plant checks by list set the foundation of autonomous maintenance.
The employees of production know their plants and should treat them responsibly, for example, as they maintain their cars. Each pilot must go through his checklists before starting and examine the aircraft and so every employee should perform a plant check to ensure that there are no unnecessary disturbances in production.
What are the advantages of autonomous maintenance by production staff?
More responsibility of employees leads to increased loyalty to the company and that is what improves the machine and the machine utilization time at the end.
The introduced standards ensure a quick response time to faults and additionally improve the machine availability.
Through the improved plant structure and higher machine availability the employees contribute to a greatly improved value. The cost savings contribute to improve the operating profit.
Machine parts that are used in production continuously should also be stored there. Of course the spare parts management should be left to the supervisor of the department.
- Shears, spare parts
- Filling shoes, preassembled
- Finishing department, critical cylinder and other spare parts